Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Ability to Live a Lie

I don't know how I acquired such a skill
to live an entire life beyond the one you know of.
And I was born of you; I came from you and grew to what you
think I am now.
If you only knew.
Sometimes when I'm driving I cry over what I'd feel
if you were gone.
I can barely take a breath,
a crooked sink pipe or a frozen flower,
heavy in ice.
My throat buckles, because in the front row
would be a person you didn't know
was part of the family.
Did you know your child had a child?
Not from my own, but loved just the same.
To think- I call you every day. I tell you of the tales,
the happenings, and every night you rest your head
easy, knowing I'm okay.
I want
more than anything
to tell you the whole story,
though I'd rather know you're rested.
I'd rather imagine your eyes at peace
than be free of the guilt
I wake to-

1 comment:

Ashley Morrow Schuller said...

aw macky! i love you so, and think you are amazing for what you are doing!!

Blog Archive